This is all very much overdue.
The Sunday before last, some of us from this past July's team were asked to help prepare the new team for their trip in a few days. Just some advice and a few bits about our experiences during our trip.
Now first off, being asked for advice is weird for me. I feel like people want Obi-Wan, but from me all they'll get is Haymitch. I just hope the things I said were helpful.
All joking and insecurities aside, it really did get me thinking. It's been almost half a year since our trip to Cambodia, and although I know we were all profoundly and fundamentally changed by our time and experiences there, I also know it's easy to lose sight of those things when we come back to our everyday lives.
Everyone on our team took away their own experiences, lessons, and memories. To me that seems like it tailors itself to the kind of person each of us is. In a sense, which part of the Body, or which utensil in the kitchen. It also speaks on where each of us is on our respective walk.
My most impactful experiences and roles were mostly team-oriented. I felt protective of and responsible for my team members. I also most profoundly remember interactions with them. Also, our time spent with the Fleenor family and with the Kids' Club. I personally loved playing with the children. More importantly, that seemed to be one of the main callings: to offer encouragement to the family, and to show love to kids who need it.
One of the big revelations I had during the trip is how great God's love is, and what an enormous part of Christian living it is to show that love to other people. That means all people: family and friends, new acquaintances, strangers you'll never see again, and even your enemies. And on a trip like ours, there are bound to be plenty of people of all of those descriptions.
So now, when asked what's important to remember about a mission trip, the most solid thing I can say is this: whatever you do, do it with love. The cool thing about that? It applies to everyday life too.
No comments:
Post a Comment